Monday, March 1, 2010

Tourtiere Meat Pie- a Canadian Tradition and Celebration!

This blog post is in celebration of the Vancouver 2010 Olympics wrapping up yesterday! Not to mention Team Canada's Gold Medal Win in Men's Hockey! YAY! I chose to pull out of my freezer one of my mom's individual homemade tourtiere! Don't know what that is? Well you shall learn!
I like to top my with ketchup... this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that knows me... I wish I would have made it look like a maple leaf, but that was an after thought!
After a few bites... YUM! it was gone pretty quickly!

Now I don't have my mom's recipe here, so I'v googled some recipes that might be a good choice if you so choose. (Note, this is certainly not a calorie wise option, but some days you just have to indulge!) This is a pork and potato filled pie at its base. I know it sounds strange, but believe me, it is LOVED by many. If you are Canadian (and especially if you are French Canadian) and have never had this, you better get baking!
Toutiere Recipe From All Recipes
Food Network Tourtiere Recipe

Also CHECK out this CBC Archive all about Canadian food! I heart CBC... and food.


Now onto something completely different (but ALMOST as delicious!)

Acorn Squash stuffed with balsamic chicken and veggies!


CHOMP


Heres what I did:
Baked my acorn squash as usual (400F for 40 mins) but I cut it so one side was larger than the other.
In a skillet: cook chicken breast. Remove
Cook up onion and mushrooms.
Add Balsamic Vinegar.
Add back in chicken.
Once Acorn Squash is cooked, put in chicken mix and warm up for a few mins longer.
CONSUME!
(I didn't actually finish this all. i have leftover squash for tomorrow! yay!)

Salad- I always have a veggie salad with dinner!

1 comment:

  1. enjoyed the CBC link... stupid Colonel Sanders not liking any Canadian food. I just realized that I'm going to miss poutine.

    ReplyDelete