Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Move of the Week


Obviously I love food. No doubt about that. But I also love exercise. I am one of those people that legitimately loves going to the gym. Obviously some days are easier than others, but most of the time, the gym calls my name. Its not for everyone, but I hope that through this blog, you can find inspiration, excitement, motivation, information... whatever it may be, to get you not to just eat better but move better too. So I am starting a "Move of the week" blog post. This post will vary from dance moves, yoga moves, strength, intervals... If I love it, it'll be on here at some point!*

Lets keep it simple and "basic" today with the Push Up! In my opinion, this is one of the best FULL BODY movements you can do. A lot of people assume its a chest/arm move- but its really your whole body. Just drop down onto the floor right now, and get into a plank position- arms straight, hips and butt down and tight, body essentially in a straight line. Already you are working all parts of your body. Once you get doing push ups, watch your heart rate rise.

What I love about push ups is that they are so people friendly. What do I mean by that?
1) You can do that at any fitness level- whether you are new to exercise or have been doing it for years, there are ways to make it easier and ways to make it harder.
2) You can do push ups anywhere. In your house, in your office, at the gym, in the park, at a party... no excuses not to knock out a few push ups every day!
3) Bang for your buck: you don't need to do a lot of push ups to see the benefits of them!

So, here are some great links to get  you started on your push up journey!

If you want to really get into push ups, try this awesome challenge at One Hundred Push Ups!

The key with push ups is to learn how to do them correctly!

And then once you have the basic push up as part of your workout, make it harder:
Elevated Push Ups
Medicine Ball Push Ups (love these! Cathy and I are doing them in our workouts right now!)

Whatever you do- push ups or not- make sure you move and more importantly, enjoy it!
If there is anything you want to see as part of "Move of the Week" let me know!

*Disclaimer: I am not certified fitness professional. I offer only my own personal advice and perspective as well as links to instruction. Don't do any exercise you are not comfortable with. Consult with a doctor and fitness professional before engaging in new physical activity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment