Thursday, November 25, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

This recipe was inspired by Cheap, Healthy, Good's Butternut Squash Soup Recipe.


I bought a butternut squash and intended to either bake it or make fries. But then I stumbled on the recipe and got inspired. And was it ever worth the work!! SO FILLING, SO FRAGRANT, SO DELICIOUS!
The downside- peeling and cutting a squash is a serious pain in the ass... and even worse if you are sore from a hard workout the day before.... haha!
Anyway, here is my version of the recipe!

1 large butternut squash (peeled and chopped into pieces of random size)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion
1 tsp nutmeg
1 apple (cut into chunks)
5 cups of veggie stock (I used better than bouillon)
1 cup apple sauce
1 tbsp cinnamon

How to:
Peel and chop up squash.
Take a break. You'll be tired.
In a large pot, saute chopped up onion in olive oil and while cooking add nutmeg. 3-5 mins here.
Add squash and apple and then pour stock over. Add apple sauce and cinnamon.
Bring to boil and then simmer until squash is soft/cooked.

Pre-blended
Then put in blender (took me 5 rounds to get through all the soup.)

Consistency.... THICK AND CREAMY.

Blender soup!!!
Put back on low on stove and ENJOY!!!

4 comments:

  1. How did the apples effect the taste in this? I am a savory lover rather than sweet. Can you really taste apple?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the apples addition. haven't tried that in my butternut squash soup before but i am going to next time. you need an immersion blender, girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kati: probably made it sweeter than you would like, though i dont really feel like you can TASTE the apple. maybe go the curry or red pepper route with your soup!

    Kristin: everyone tells me I need one. haha.

    ReplyDelete